2006-2007 Chapter Report
Advisor and Officers
Advisor: Professor Christopher Swanson
President: Jennifer Picucci
Vice-President: Ryan Wilson
Treasurer: Ashley-Rae Doty
Secretary: Keona Padgett
Number of New Members Inducted:
Number of Continuing Members:
Describe the two most interesting or unusual chapter activities this year:
1. Math Jeopardy - Faculty filled out
questionnaires with questions such as "What is your favorite number?" and
"What is your favorite movie?" Their answers were clues for the
Jeopardy-style game created by seniors, and students competed in teams of 3
for various baked goods.
2. Math Movie Nights at Dr. Swanson's house - We watched "Proof" and "Little
Do any of your chapter members plan to attend or present a paper at the PME national meeting at MathFest in San Jose, California?
Brian DiCesare plans to attend a portion of the
conference to participate in the mathematics competition.
Do you have any news about current students or recent graduates? For example, scholarships or other awards, acceptances to graduate school, paper presentations at conferences. :
even students gave presentations at the Spring Meeting of the Ohio
Section of the MAA (One was a PME member)
Three students gave presentations at the Nebraska Conference for
Undergraduate Women in Mathematics (all were PME members)
Ryan Wilson'07 and Andrew Miller'07 will both be attending Miami University
in Oxford, OH for graduate school. Jennifer Picucci will be attending
Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff, AZ for graduate school.
On April 25, 2007, the Department of Mathematics and Computer
Science at Ashland University held its annual Academic Awards and Activity
Recognition Reception. The following awards were distributed for
scholarship in mathematics during this reception:
1) Seven freshmen, 3 sophomores, 11 juniors, and 10 seniors were given
Academic Honors awards for having above mathematics/computer science GPA's
above 3.5. (certificates, pens, and plaques)
2) Carpenter Award for Outstanding Calculus student - Sean McGraw
(certificate and book)
3) Wendling Award for Outstanding Discrete Mathematics students - Greg
Slutz (certificate and book)
4) Outstanding Sophomore Awards - Betsy Morrison and Greg Slutz
(certificates and books)
5) Outstanding Junior Awards - Brian DiCesare, Beth Heaton, and Elizabeth
Ling (certificates and books)
6) Outstanding Senior Awards - Jeremy Fensch, Jen Picucci, and Ryan Wilson
(certificates and wooden eagle statues)
7) Recognition of 16 different recipients of 10 departmental scholarships
8) Recognition of 4 officers of Pi Mu Epsilon and 3 officers of MAA Student
9) Recognition of 11 students giving talks at various conferences
10) Recognition of 7 participants in the Putnam Mathematical Competition
(certificates) and scorers in the competition (Andrew Miller received a
"gold" medal and Brian DiCesare received a "silver" medal)
11) Recognition of 9 participants in Ohio Section of the MAA math contest.
12) Recognition of 2 students who submitted correct solutions to Problems
of the Month contest (drawing resulted in Brian DiCesare receiving gift card
to campus bookstore).
This event continues to be very successful, with many parents coming to the
event to see their students receive the awards.