Pi Mu Epsilon Student Presentation Awards
2008 MathFest - Madison, Wisconsin
- American Mathematical Society awards for excellence in student exposition and research (in alphabetical order):
- Samuel Behrend, Ohio Iota Chapter at Denison University, Determining Intrinsic Triple Linking in Straight-Edge Embeddings of K9.
- Alicia Brinkman, Wisconsin Delta Chapter at Saint Norbert College, How We Roll: The Theory and Construction of the Square Wheel Bicycle.
- Iordan Ganev, Ohio Delta Chapter at Miami University, Order Dimension of Subgroups.
- Brendan Kelly, New Jersey Chapter at The College of New Jersey, How to Obtain Algebraic Information from Zero-Divisor Graphs.
- Daniel Lithio, Michigan Delta Chapter at Hope College, Modeling Dynamics of a Volleyball Serve: Choosing the Optimal Trajectory.
- W. Ryan Livingston, Ohio Xi Chapter at Youngstown State University, Can 2008 be the First Digits of 2n?
- Jared Ruiz, Ohio Xi Chapter at Youngstown State University, A Surprising Sum of Arctangents.
- Jeremy Thompson, Colorado Gamma Chapter at the United States Air Force Academy, Numerical Semigroups and Wilf’s Conjecture.
- Council on Undergraduate Research award for outstanding student research and exposition:
- Sara Jensen, Wisconsin Epsilon Chapter at Carthage College, An Alternate Proof of the Anti-Pasch Conjecture.
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics award for outstanding student exposition and research in applied mathematics:
- Doug Wajda, Ohio Xi Chapter at Youngstown State University, Partial Differential Equation Model of Traffic Flow.
- MAA Special Interest Group -- Environmental Mathematics awards for outstanding exposition and research in environmental mathematics:
- Vincent Martinez, New Jersey Theta Chapter at The College of New Jersey, Plant-Pathogen Dynamics.
- MAA Special Interest Group – Mathematical Biology: The Janet L. Anderson Award for outstanding exposition and research in Mathematical or Computational Biology:
- Heather Ackerson, Minnesota Delta Chapter at the College of Saint Benedict, RNA Secondary Structure – A Statistical Analysis.