This is a summary for all Pi Mu Epsilon Chapters of the Meeting of the National Council of Pi Mu Epsilon, Inc., January 8th, 2011 in New Orleans, LA.
This is a summary for all Pi Mu Epsilon Chapters of the meeting of the National Council of Pi Mu Epsilon, Inc., January 8th, New Orleans, LA.
- North Central College (Illinois Nu, #344) This Chapter will installed by Councillor Paul Fishback in spring of 2011..
- Lewis & Clark College (Oregon Eta, #345) This Chapter will be installed by Councillor Kendra Killpatrick in spring of 2011..
- Binghamton University (New York Alpha Omicron #346) This Chapter will be installed by Past-President Joan Weiss in spring of 2011.
- Marist College (New York Alpha Pi #347) This Chapter will be installed by Councillor Jacqueline Jensen in spring of 2011.
- Elmira College (New York Alpha Rho #348) This Chapter will be installed by Past-President Joan Weiss in spring of 2011..
Richard Good Lectureship visits approved at the August Council meeting took place in the fall of 2010:.
- California Nu Chapter at Sonoma State University. Journal Editor Brigitte Servatius visited this Chapter in October, 2010.
- California Omicron Chapter at California State University - Chico. Journal Editor Brigitte Servatius visited this Chapter in October, 2010.
- Kentucky Alpha at the University of Kentuck. Former President Doug Faires visited this Chapter in November, 2010.
- Texas Beta at Lamar University. President David Sutherland visited this Chapter in November, 2010.
Preparing for the 2011 Elections: Past-President Joan Weiss reported on the status of the 2011 election, which will be held in February, 2011. Candidates for office are as follows:
- President: Eve Torrence
- President-Elect: Angela Spalsbury
- Past-President: David Sutherland
- PME Journal Editor: Brigitte Servatius
- Secretary-Treasurer: Paul Fishback
- Stephanie Edwards, Hope College
- John Frohliger, St. Norbert College
- Michelle Ghrist, United States Air Force Academy
- Jacqueline Jensen, Sam Houston State University and Slippery Rock University
- Gretchen Koch, Goucher College
- Colin Starr, Willamette University
Interim Secretary-Treasurer: The council voted to appoint Paul Fishback Interim Secretary-Treasurer, filling the vacancy created by the death of Professor Leo Schneider
Arrangement for August 3-5, 2011 Pi Mu Epsilon Conference in Lexington Kentucky:
- Registration. Speaker and Delegate applications will be put on the www.pme-math.org web site by March 1. The student speaker/delegate registration procedure will be approximately the same as previous years. We will purchase the tickets for our speakers and delegates from the MAA and distribute them to the students with the tee shirts at the Student Reception.
- Student Reception. Pi Mu Epsilon tee shirts and Pi Mu Epsilon Banquet tickets will be distributed to Speakers and Delegates at Wednesday afternoon’s Student Reception.
- Frame Lecture. Margaret Wright from the Courant Institute at New York University will give the Frame Lecture on Friday evening.
- Judging. President-Elect Eve Torrence and former President Doug Faires agreed to take charge of judging talks. There will be at least ten $150 cash prizes for the best papers. In addition to the seven that have been underwritten by a grant from the American Mathematical Society, there will be two additional prizes underwritten by the American Statistical Society. The paper ranked in the top ten that is judged to represent the best student research will receive its prize from the Council for Undergraduate Research. In addition to these ten prizes, there may also be $150 prizes for top papers in the areas of applied mathematics furnished by the SIAM, of environmental mathematics furnished by SIGMAA-EM, and of mathematical biology furnished by Bio-SIGMAA. No student can receive two prizes.
- Pi Mu Epsilon Banquet. Student prizes will be awarded at the Pi Mu Epsilon Banquet Friday evening. Pi Mu Epsilon students will register for MathFest in a special category that includes the subsidized cost of a Banquet ticket.
- Chapter Advisors’ Breakfast. There will be a breakfast for Pi Mu Epsilon faculty advisors early Thursday morning. It will not be listed in the MathFest Program. Advisors will get their invitation by email from the Secretary-Treasurer and receive the location and time when they RSVP.
- T-Shirts. President-Elect Eve Torrence will organize a T-shirt design contest as part of this event.
- Historical Artifacts: President David Sutherland will assemble a collection of PME items of historical significance, which will be put on display at one or more conferences leading up to the centennial.
- 60th Anniversary of Pi Mu Epsilon Student Talks in 2011. Former President Robert Smith volunteered to write a history of student talks at summer meetings.
The complete and official minutes of this meeting will be available from the Pi Mu Epsilon Secretary-Treasurer after they are approved at the August 2011 meeting of the Pi Mu Epsilon Council in Lexington, Kentucky.
Paul E. Fishback, Interim Secretary-Treasurer