This is a summary for all Pi Mu Epsilon Chapters of the meeting of the National Council of Pi Mu Epsilon, Inc., August 4th, 2011 in Lexington, Kentucky.
- Student Activities: There were 48 Pi Mu Epsilon student speakers at the national Pi Mu Epsilon conference held in conjunction with MathFest 2011.
The standard subsistence equaled $261. Students who registered in the PME student speaker category received this amount, whereas students who registered simply as undergraduate students received $236.
- The J. Sutherland Frame Lecture, You Can't Top This: Making Things Better with Mathematics, was given my Margaret Wright, the Silver Professor of Computer Science and Mathematics at the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences, New York University.
- At the Pi Mu Epsilon Banquet and Awards Ceremony:
- 12 student speakers received $150 cash awards for the excellence of their presentations. Nine of these cash prizes were subsidized by grants from the American Mathematical Society and the American Statistical Association, one by the Council on Undergraduate Research, one by the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, and one was given by the MAA’s Special Interest Group on Mathematical Biology. These awards were presented immediately following the Pi Mu Epsilon Banquet with 135 in attendance including the Pi Mu Epsilon speakers and their faculty advisors. The list of winners can be found at
and the complete list of speakers and their titles can be found at
- The Student Reception welcoming Pi Mu Epsilon and MAA student speakers on August 3th, the evening before MathFest began, was well attended.
The sixth annual Pi Mu Epsilon Faculty Breakfast for 30 advisors who attended MathFest 2011 along with the PME Council and friends of PME was again a great success, and Pi Mu Epsilon will continue to host these breakfasts at MathFests. Pi Mu Epsilon advisors who missed this breakfast will have an opportunity to meet national Pi Mu Epsilon Councilors at the Pi Mu Epsilon table in the Exhibit Hall at the Joint Mathematics Meetings in New Orleans this coming January.
The national Councilors met Thursday morning August 5. Council members present were Eve Torrence (President), Paul Fishback (Secretary-Treasurer), John Frohliger (Councilor), Jacqueline Jensen (Councilor), Brigitte Servatius (Journal Editor), Angela Spalsbury (President-Elect), Colin Starr (Councilor), and David Sutherland (Past-President). Also present for all or part of the meeting were Susan Schneider; Harold Reiter (Journal Problem Section Editor); former PME Presidents, Doug Faires, Eileen L. Poiani, Rick Poss, Robert Smith, and Joan Weiss; and Ronda McKee, President-elect of Kappa Mu Epsilon.
- 2011-2012 Good Lectureships:
- The council approved funding in our 2011-2012 Richard A. Good Pi Mu Epsilon Lectureship and Chapter Enhancement Program for the one Chapter that applied:
- New York Omicron at Clarkson University.
- The application deadline for spring 2012 Good Lectureships has been extended to 12/1/2011.
- New Chapters: 12 new chapters have been installed the past year. They are as follows:
- 344 - IL Nu at North Central College: Installed by Paul Fishback on May 17, 2011
- 345 - OR Eta at Lewis & Clark College: Installed by Kendra Killpatrick on March 1, 2011
- 346 - NY Alpha Omicron at Binghamton: Installed by Joan Weiss on April 9, 2011
- 347 - NY Alpha Pi at Marist College: Installed by Jackie Jensen on March 24, 2011
- 348 - NY Alpha Rho at Elmira College: Installed by Joan Weiss on March 5, 2011
- 349 - WI Theta at UW-Whitewater: Installed by Paul Fishback on April 28, 2011
- 350 - CA Sigma at the University of the Pacific: Installed by Kendra Killpatrick on April 26, 2011
- 351 - NY Alpha Sigma at St. John Fisher College: Installed by Joan Weiss on April 9, 2011
- 352 - PA Omega at Washington and Jefferson College: Installed by Jackie Jensen on April 18, 2011
- 353 - VA Nu at Virginia Commonwealth University: Installed by Eve Torrence on date on May 4, 2011
- 354 - VA Xi at Lynchburg College: Installed by Eve Torrence on April 29, 2011
- 355 - CA Tau at Whittier College: Installed by David Sutherland on May 9, 2011
- 356 – GA Eta at Macon State College: To be installed by David Sutherland in Fall 2011
- Finances (See appendices for details.) The financial report for the July 1, 2010 to June 30, 2011 fiscal year was accepted unanimously by the Council. The budget for the July 1, 2010 to June 30, 2011 fiscal year was approved.
- On Line Newsletter. Chapters can look forward to a second edition of the Pi Mu Epsilon on-line newsletter to appear on our web site this fall.
- Pi Mu Epsilon Anniversaries. 2011 marks the 60th anniversary of Pi Mu Epsilon student talks at the summer meetings of the Mathematical Association of America, and 2014 marks the 100th anniversary of the founding of Pi Mu Epsilon at the University of Syracuse.
- Next National Pi Mu Epsilon Conference. The 2012 conference will be held in Madison, Wisconsin. Pi Mu Epsilon Speaker and Delegate applications will be available at http://www.pme-math.org beginning in March.
- Pi Mu Epsilon Journal.
- The Andree Award for the best student-written article in the 2010 issues of the Pi Mu Epsilon Journal went to Matt Alexander (Youngstown State University), Dan Emmendorfer (Hope College), Martha Precup (University of Notre Dame), Ashley Warren (Otterbein College), and Alex Cameron (Hendrix College).
- The number of submissions has increased, including those written by students. Currently there is a backlog of accepted articles that have not yet appeared in print.
- The problems that appear in the spring and fall issues of the Journal are posted on the Pi Mu Epsilon web page, http://www.pme-math.org/ on March 1 and October 1, usually 8 weeks ahead of the time the Journal is mailed to our members. October 1, 2010 is the deadline for solutions submitted to the problems that were posted on March 1, 2010, and the solutions to those problems will be printed in the fall 2010 issue of the Journal. Similarly, March 1, 2011 will the deadline for solutions submitted to the problems that will be posted on October 1, 2010, and the solutions to those problems will be printed in the spring 2010 issue of the Journal.
- A searchable index for the titles and authors of all articles that have appeared in the Pi Mu Epsilon Journal is on our web site. Articles that have won the Richard V. Andree Award are given special recognition in the index.
- Chapters are asked to verify that their listing is up to date and correct in our listing of Chapters at http://www.pme-math.org/chapters/statelists.html
- Chapters should file their annual Chapter Report at http://www.pme-math.org/chapters/chaptersubmit.html
- 88 chapters submitted ballots.
- The consensus of council members is that future elections should be conducted electronically and that ballots should not be mailed to chapters.
- PME Regional Conference Grants:
- Regional conference matching grants were raised from $100 to $200 by unanimous approval of the Council.
- The complete and official minutes of this meeting will be available by request from the Pi Mu Epsilon Recording Secretary after they are approved at the January 2012 meeting of the Pi Mu Epsilon Council in Boston.
Pi Mu Epsilon Budget for July 1, 2011 to June 30, 2012